Friday, February 12, 2010

Donuts

I have always loved the scene in "Lady and the Tramp" where Lady brings the paper inside and Jim Dear gives her a plain donut and coffee. He pours the coffee into her dog bowl and she gingerly breaks the donut into pieces and dips it lady-like into the bowl. The anthropomorphism is just precious and I couldn't resist trying to recreate this Disney moment in my own home. So this morning I brought home some donuts and while I enjoyed my powdered donut, I placed a plain one in Hubbell's bowl. It wasn't quite like the scene out of "Lady and the Tramp" but more like a scene out of "Planet Earth". Like a lion in the Serengeti, Hubbell pounced on the bowl and mauled the tasty pastry. It was quick and gruesome and I am convinced that I will be cleaning up donut off the wall for days to come. Even though it was just a baked good, I'm still slightly horrified at how violently the donut went.

In the meantime, I have given him a peanut butter jar that is about a fourth full. It's one of the large, family style jars and he can't quite reach the bottom of the jar. The bottom of the jar is where I have place a half dozen Ritz crackers that he is fond of. The crackers are stuck to the peanut butter and creates quite a comical spectacle as he stuffs his head into the large plastic container and gets somewhat stuck and shakes his head trying to loosen up the crackers. You know, I really haven't missed television since we canceled our cable two months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment