Today it snowed. And not "Nashville's definition" of snow, but legitimate snow, where no ground can be seen. I don't guess inches well, so let's say 4", although it might have been 10". I'm really quite poor at that. Coming back inside, I poured some Sprite over strawberries. As I started to drink it, I thought to myself that it would be much more chic and European to make some hot tea. Recognizing in fact just how narcissistic I am that I think about how cool my drink choices are, I decide to stick with the Sprite with strawberries because it tastes good right now and honestly, no one else is home except for Hubbell. And he just drank from the toilet, so his opinion can't be that refined.
I took Hubbell to the Green Hills' library park. It's a large, flat yard surrounded with tall thin trees. Standing on the edge of the yard, the trees are such a stunning contrast to the white snow. It was like standing in an Ansel Adams' photo. No one was around so I let Hubbell off his leash. Such a rebel. He tore off across the yard, pouncing on little mounds of snow and delighting in making them disappear. He brought me a stick, which I threw and he returned with a different one. I threw the replacement and watched as it vanished beneath the surface of the snow like a drowning man in a pool. Never one to be discouraged, Hubbell returned with yet another one. We exchanged sticks approximately a dozen times, each one a cheapened downgrade of the original.
After a decent amount of time, I felt my toes go numb. It's my fault, I should have worn my Wellington rain boots instead of my nursing clogs. I wish I knew where my rain boots are. It would be the only time this year I would have used them and I can't find them. Some things are poor investments. Like polka dotted rain boots you lose.
While I coaxed him off the snowy playground, I thought to myself "this is a good memory". This rare snow, a southern blizzard, a dog mesmerized by snow melting in his mouth, these are beautiful things to experience. I hope to remember them.
Friday, January 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment