The Temptations.The first concert I went to. I was five years old and it was at Starwood (wow, remember Starwood?!). Herman's Hermits opened for them. I'm tempted to say that they just came out and played "Henry the Eighth I Am" six or seven times in a row-but I also know that it's not true. But it would make the story so much funnier...
So Herman's Hermits opened up for them and all they did was play "Henry the Eighth I Am" six or seven times in a row and then said good night. I guess they realized that as a one hit wonder the audience was only interested in their repetitive hit being played repetitively. That concert started a long time love of live music for me. Hearing "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" over the speakers was like hearing a friend tell a familiar story-one that I had heard before and knew the ending to. The sense of community in the audience was something I had never experienced before-not even at church. People were giving each other high fives and laughing and dancing with perfect strangers.
Ten years later, my dad took me back to see The Temptations and The Four Tops played with them this time. It was just as magical a decade later, even in that weird cynical stage that most 15 year olds pass through-it was awesome.
Starwood. I still remember when they announced that they were going to close Starwood. It was Valentine's Day 2007. Lightning 100 broke the news to me on my way to my patho-physiology class at Vanderbilt. I cried in the car and intermittently throughout the day. It was the saddest Valentine's Day I've ever had. Which is saying a lot because I've never had a good Valentine's Day.
I miss Starwood ever single summer. I miss Starwood in such a specific way that I think most people reserve for missing a lost lover. I miss the curve of the lawn and the way that summer sky felt larger for some reason sitting on the lawn. I miss the elated senses that came with an encore. I miss feeling more beautiful than ever under the stage's overflowing lights. I miss going to sleep after a show and being exhausted from joy. I miss waking the next morning with little tingles in my stomach reliving songs and hard to reach notes. Every July it feels like Dave Matthews Band season-like an anniversary celebrated alone. They played at Vanderbilt recently, but that just seems wrong to cage Dave Matthews Band indoors. They belong outside, playing uninhibited while their audience dances barefoot in an excited thunderstorm. At least that's how I'll always remember them.
Even now, even after two years of grieving and courting other venues and having multiple one night musical stands: I miss Starwood.
Friday, December 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment